Meiji, Taisho, Showa, Heisei, and now Reiwa. A house that stood across five eras.
Exiting from Kyoto Station's central gate and walk past Kyoto Tower, you will find Higashi Honganji which is one of the largest temple in Japan. Around the temple are shops and studios for Buddhist instruments, and it is an area where you can feel the temperament of Japanese craftsmen.
This Kyo-machiya locates on the north side of Higashi Honganji temple. There is a record that it existed since 1902 in the Meiji era, but it is well-maintained that you may be surprised that it stood for more than 100 years.
(1) Koshi/Lattice - Well maintained wooden lattice.
(2) Mushikomado/Lattice window - These are often found in Tsushinikai type of Kyomachiya that were built before the Meiji era.
(3) Shinobigaeshi/Robbery prevention - These metal bars were said to keep the robbers or even Ninjas away.
(4) Tatami room (1st floor) - Sunlight streamed in through the lattice.
(5) Antique furniture - Traditional antique furnitures fit nicely with the Kyomachiya.
(6) Yamato ceiling - On top of the Tatami rooms is the Yamato ceiling.
(7) Sloped ceiling - On the 2nd floor you can find these slanted wooden beam ceiling that displays the quality of the timber used.
(8) Tatami room (2nd floor) - Standard Tatami room layout with the alcove to display arts or hanging scrolls.
(9) Hibukuro/Double height ceiling - This space is used to release the heat and smoke from cooking, as well as letting sunlight in.
A convenient but quiet neighborhood. 5 min walk from subway Gojo station.
North of this house is a an area with restaurants and supermarkets, while going south you'd find a quiet neighborhood with shops that sell Buddhist instruments. There are also some interesting spots such as "Imanishiken" where you can get a taste of the famous Ohagi bean cake, and the Tsukuru building where creators and modern craftsmen gather.
Goiedo gate, the primary entrance to Hiashi Honganji temple, was fully repaired in 2016. The sight of the tallest (28m) wooden gate in Japan is only 8 minutes walk away.
Front of Goeido gate
|Property Price||49,800,000 JPY (Approx. USD *1JPY= USD)|
|Type & Conditions||Old House (Kyo-machiya, one of 3 terraced house)|
|Location||156-1 Ebisucho, Shinmachidori motobahigashiiri, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto|
|Transportation||Approx. 4 min walk from subway Karasuma line "Gojo" station Exit 6
Approx. 16 min walk from JR "Kyoto" station central exit
|Land Area||[Registered] 73.25 sqm
[Tape Measured] Approx. 76.22 sqm
|Private Street Area Included||No|
|Floor Area||[Registered] 1F: 41.32sqm 2F: 34.71sqm Total: 76.03sqm|
|[Tape Measured] 1F: 48.06sqm 2F: 39.5sqm Total: Approx. 87.56sqm|
|*Includes unregistered building|
|Building Structure||Two Storey Wooden House|
|Building Date||Unspecifiable (earliest record goes back to 1902)|
|Size||6 Rooms + Storage room + Garden|
|Adjoining Street||Street Width: Approx 2.23m, Frontage: Approx 6.67m, Direction: West|
|Public Utility||Electricity, Water Plumbing In/Out, City Gas|
|Land Use District||Neighborhood Commercial Districts|
|Legal restriction||15m / Category 3 Height Control Districts, Quasi-Fire Prevent District, Old Urban Type Aesthetic Districts, Close View Preservation Zone, Distant View Preservation Zone, Outdoor Advertisement Category 4 Regulatory District|
|Building Coverage Ratio||80%|
|Floor Area Ratio||300%|
|Land Category||Residential Land|
|City Planning Act||Urbanization Promotion Area|
|Notification According to
National Land Utilization Law
|Remarks||・Approx. 5.9 sqm setback is required when rebuilding on this land.
・This property cannot be used as lodging facilities such as guest house.
・Renovation work is required due to it's aged deterioration.
・The seller is not liable for any defects.
|Elementary School||Shimogyo Miyabi Elementary (13min walk/1012m)|
|Junior High School||Shimogyo Junior High (3min walk/177m)|
|Transaction Terms||Hachise as broker|
|Sales Representative||Kae Motokado|
|Information updated||June 17th, 2019|
|Information will be updated||June 24th, 2019|