In Praiseof Shadows
"In Praise Of Shadows (陰翳礼讃)" is an essay written by Junichiro Tanizaki, one of the most prominent novelists in modern Japanese literature.
It discusses the artistic sensibility of the Japanese, who lived in a time when there were no electric lights, and their unique appreciation of beauty, where life and nature were intertwined, embodying the essence of refined elegance.
(Original text in Japanese: 陰翳礼讃. (2023 May 28). In Wikipedia.
"In Praise Of Shadows", a work that has been cherished by those involved in architecture and design throughout the ages.
The beauty of shadows has long been considered a part of traditional Japanese aesthetics.
Shadows on walls and beams, silhouettes of trees reflected on shoji screens, and the soft diffusion of light through these screens - all create a gentle and luminous atmosphere throughout the interior space.
The natural light from outside transforms into a soft, indirect illumination, thoughtfully balanced to avoid excessive brightness or darkness, emphasizing the interplay of light and the texture of materials. By taking these mindful approaches, a Kyomachiya space with a serene and harmonious ambiance has been created in this renovation project.
The staircase is a masterpiece, crafted by skilled artisans who shaped and bent heated iron to create unique, handcrafted wrought iron railings.
For the approach and entrance step of the front door, we used domestically-sourced "Oya stone", a volcanic stone formed by accumulated volcanic ash from underwater eruptions. Its excellent fire resistance makes it widely used for residential homes and storehouses.
The stone's distinctive black spots and voids, known as "Miso", give it a uniquely gentle and expressive appearance.
The floor plan incorporates ample natural light from the south, creating a sense of openness and connectivity. The design ensures a spacious visual flow, avoiding any feelings of confinement. When windows open, the space allows for excellent ventilation, inviting a refreshing breeze throughout.
Existing beams and pillars have been reused while adding modern amenities such as water plumbing facilities to suit nowadays modern living. (Fully renovated in July 2023)
Click thumnails to enlarge photos.
Located along the subway Karasuma Line, this property benefits from convenient transportation and a lush environment near the Kamo River embankment (approx. 2 min. walk/150m). Nestled in a tranquil residential neighborhood, it offers a favorable living environment.
This area is also renowned for its rich cultural and educational resources, including the Kyoto Botanical Gardens, Kyoto Institute Library and Archives (Rekisaikan Library), Kyoto Concert Hall, Kyoto Prefectural University, and other cultural facilities.
Drag/Swipe the screen, or click the arrows on the screen to tour.
- Property Price
- 46,800,000 JPY (Approx. USD *1JPY= USD)
*Sept 11, Under Offer
- Type & Conditions
- Used House (Kyomachiya)
- 38 Koyama-Motomachi, Kita Ward, Kyoto
- approx. 10 min. walk from Subway Karasuma-line "Kitaoji Sta." Exit 1
approx. 12 min. walk from Subway Karasuma-line "Kitayama Sta." Exit 3
approx. 2 min. walk from Kyoto City Bus "Higashi-Motomachi Stop"
- Land Area
【Actual/Measured by Survoyers】approx. 59.34sqm
- Private Street Area Included
- Floor Area
- 【Registered】1F: 31.07sqm, 2F: 34.47sqm, Total: 54.54sqm
【Actual/Tape measured】1F: 35.26sqm, 2F: 24.49sqm, Total: 59.75sqm (approx. number/including unregistered area)
- Building Structure
- Two-Storey Wooden House
- Building Date
- Unspecifiable (the earliest record in the closed registry is 1932)
- 2 Rooms + LDK ＋ ext. storage ＋ garden
- Adjoining Street
- Street width: 4.02m (public road), Frontage: 3.6m, Direction: North (approx. number)
- Public Utility
- Electricity, Water Plumbing In/Out, City Gas
- Land Use District
- Category 1 Low-Rise Exclusive Residential District
- Legal Restrictions
- The minimum size of land area is regulated as 80sqm if divided, 10m / Height Control District, Quasi-Fire Prevent District, Piedmont Building Special Preservation and Improvement District North District, Close View Preservation Zone, Distant View Preservation Zone, Outdoor Advertisement Category 2 Regulatory District (article 11-1-6 area), Residence Attraction Area, Suburban Development Control Area
- Current Situation
- Building Coverage Ratio
- Floor Area Ratio
- Land Category
- Residential Land
- Land Tenure
- Geographical Features
- City Planning Act
- Urbanization Promotion Area
- Notification According to National Land Utilization Law
- Not Required
- Elementary School
- Motomachi Elementary School (approx. 4 min. walk/300m)
- Junior High School
- Kamogawa Junior High School (approx. 11 min. walk/850m)
- Fully renovated by Hachise in July 2023.
Renovation works done: Renewed water plumbing facilities (bathroom, kitchen, toilet, basin, etc.), Repaired & repainted exterior walls, Renewed fittings (exterior/interior), Interior refurbishments, Replaced flooring materials, Installation of floor heating system, Gardening, etc.
- ※This property has obtained Kyo-machiya profile.
※The property will be handed over as is.
※Furniture shown in photos is not included in the property price.
※This property is designated to be purchased through ROYAL ONE inc.'s brokerage. The Buyer therefore is required to pay agent commission when concluding contract.
- Transaction Terms
- Hachise as a Seller
- Sales Representatives
- (EN) Aya Kito / Boa Zhang
(JP) Yu Murata
- Information Updated
- Sept 25, 2023
- Information will be Updated
- Oct 2, 2023
Hachise provides comprehensive after-purchase support and services that match your needs.
Check below for more: