• About Property Listings

  • ・Are there any available properties that are not listed on your website?

    We list all available properties on our website except for properties that are limited and disclosed only to our registered customers. If you are interested in viewing our members-only webpages, please apply for our e-mail service (in Japanese only) via Contact form. We will not use your E-mail address for purposes other than sending exclusive property information and announcements.  >>Apply for e-mail service

  • ・Can I ask you to let me know if there is a new property?

    Unfortunately, we do not inform our customers individually on new property information and/or updates.
    We have an e-mail service (in Japanese only), whose members receive information on some new properties in advance, before they are officially released on our website. If you are interested in receiving our E-mails, please apply via Contact form. We will not use your E-mail address for purposes other than sending exclusive property information and announcements.  >>Apply for e-mail service

  • About Inquiry and Property Viewing

  • ・Do I have to make an appointment to visit your office?

    Yes. We ask customers to make an appointment to visit us and/or to view our properties because we have only a few English speaking staff. Please make an initial contact via inquiry forms no later than 1 week before the day you wish to visit.

  • ・Can I contact you via phone?

    No. We generally do not accept contact by phone. Please submit messages via inquiry forms. Each property has an individual inquiry form on its property page. General inquiries should be submitted through Contact form on the header.

  • ・Does Hachise provide service in English?

    We provide services in Japanese and English. Other languages are not available.
    Please note that the governing language of the contract is JAPANESE ONLY. We ask you to hire a reliable and well skilled translator at your own expense to understand contract conditions.

  • ・How can I get to Hachise’s office?

    Please visit Company Info page.

  • About Modification of Buildings and Earthquake Resistance

  • ・Can I count on you for renovation works?

    Unfortunately, we don’t take any additional renovation orders.
    If you are interested in purchasing an old house that needs renovation, we can help you finding an architect and a builder, but not many of them speak English.
    If you are not familiar with Japanese, you will probably need someone to help you for the translation which we can also introduce.

  • ・Can I modify or extend the building myself?

    Extending “Existing Ineligible Buildings” such as Kyo-Machiya townhouses is rarely permitted; however, renovation and demolition is allowed within the limits of the current Building Standards Act. Other buildings are allowed to be modified or extended based on the Act.
    >> What is “Existing Ineligible Building”?

  • ・Can I demolish the existing building and rebuild new one in the future?

    Generally yes, but in some cases the new building may be required to be set back from the adjoining road to allow for some space in between. However, on “Rebuilding Prohibited” lands, Rebuilding is not permitted. 
    >>What is “Rebuilding Prohibited” land?

    Please note that we generally do not sell our properties to those who intend to demolish the buildings immediately.

  • ・Is Kyo-Machiya resistant to earthquakes?

    When renovating Kyo-Machiyas, we reinforce and/or replace the structural elements such as columns and beams depending on the extent of damage. However, a reliable method of diagnosing earthquake resistance of Kyo-Machiyas has not been established due to their characteristics as a traditional antique wooden structure. Therefore, it is difficult to accurately measure its stability, and almost impossible for us to ensure that our Kyo-machiya properties meet the earthquake resistance standards. We ask buyers to understand the situation, and acknowledge the risk of possible collapse in the event of a severe earthquake.

  • About Purchasing Process

  • ・Can I apply for purchase without viewing the property?

    We now offer new solutions to customers who wish to purchase from us even without visiting the properties. For more information please visit How To Buy - Purchase without visiting Kyoto.

  • ・How many times should I visit Japan to complete the purchase?

    At least 3 times if you want to conduct the contract face-to-face in person. Necessary steps to complete purchases are:

    1. Property viewing and purchase application
    2. Contract conclusion
    3. Closing

    Step 2 and 3 may be combined into a single day with some of the properties. Please ask our staff about the individual conditions for each property.

    You can now also choose to complete the contract closing process online. In such case you don't have to visit Japan in person. Contact us for details.

  • ・How long does it take to complete the purchase?

    From 6 weeks to 8 weeks. It takes about 1 month between applying and making a contract, and about 2 weeks to 1 month between the contract and closing.

  • ・How much costs and taxes should I pay to complete the purchase?

    We have posted a list of costs and taxes.
    Please visit the following link.  >>Costs and Taxes

  • ・Can I ask you to introduce a good Japanese lawyer?

    Yes. In Japan solicitors/attorneys handle legal process regarding real estate transactions. We can introduce you to some solicitors/attorneys who conduct business in English. They have expertise and experiences in assisting real estate transaction with foreign clients.

    Hiroyuki Inagaki
    Nanohana Law Office

  • About Title

  • ・Can I register my company as a title-holder?

    Yes. Japanese companies and foreign companies are both acceptable.

  • ・Can I establish a company in Japan to hold title?

    Yes, but not recommended in most cases. It depends on your conditions, purpose and preferences which option is the best, to hold the property as an individual, a foreign company or a Japanese company.
    We can introduce you to English speaking solicitors/attorneys and/or tax accountant who can help you with those issues. Please contact us for the details.

  • About After Sales Services, Maintenance and Management

  • ・Does Hachise provide warranty against defects?

    We provide warranty for houses we renovate according to our warranty clause and policies. The warranty period is generally 2 years. We do not provide warranty for unrenovated houses or houses renovated by a party other than Hachise.

  • ・What should I do to start using utilities? How should I pay for it?

    We will contact the utility providers to start services on your behalf after the key handover. Payment can be made by credit card. VISA, MasterCard, JCB and Diners Club are accepted. We can also assist you to apply for credit card payment.

  • ・Do you provide rental management service?

    Yes. We currently provide “Rental Home Management Service” for contract terms of 1 years or longer and “Vacation Rental Management Service” .
    >>See details of Vacation Rental Management Service
    >>See details of Rental Home Management Service 

  • ・Can you help me if I re-sell my property in the future?

    Yes. As your sales agent we can advertise your property both on our Japanese and English websites, and provide consultation on sales conditions, tax payments, etc.