Costs and Taxes
|Purchase Money||Earnest Money Deposit||Typically 10% of the property price|
|Fee||Agent Commission||First half of the total amount|
|Tax||Stamp Duty||For sale and purchase contract
(ex: 10,000JPY for a property less than 50,000,000 JPY)
|Contract Translation Charge*||Varies depending on the time required|
|Tax||Registration Tax||The Solicitor/Attorney will pay the tax on your behalf|
|Purchase Money||Remaining Balance of the Purchase Price||No loans available for non-residents|
|Fee||Agent Commission||Second half of the total amount|
Fixed Asset Tax and City Planning Tax
|Per-diem reimbursement of the annual Fixed Asset Tax and City Planning Tax to the seller.
Starting Date: April 1st
|Tax||Real Estate Acquisition Tax||<For residential use>
Land: 1.5% of assessed value
Building: 3% of assessed value
Land: 3% of assessed value
Building: 4% of assessed value
* Bill will be issued in 3-6 months after title transfer.
|Tax||Fixed Asset Tax and City Planning Tax||Fixed Asset Tax: 1.4% of assessed value
City Planning Tax: 0.3% of assessed value
* Imposed by Fiscal Authority of Kyoto City.
* Tax reduction available for residential lands.
|Insurance||Fire Insurance Premium*||Varies depending on insurance conditions|
|Fee||Housing Maintenance Service Membership Fee*||After-sales support service for the houses renovated by Hachise. Free for the first year.|
|Vacant Home Maintenance Fee*||Optional vacant home maintenance service for the vacation homes renovated by Hachise.|
|Others||Neighborhood Association Fee*||Varies depending on the Association
(Ex: 100–1,000 JPY/month)
- Fixed Asset Tax and City Planning Tax
- Property owners are required to pay Fixed Asset Tax and City Planning Tax, which are levied on fixed assets such as land and buildings. The taxpayer (the one who will be liable for paying tax) will be determined on January 1st, and the taxation period will start from April 1st of the same year to March 31th in the following year. Buyers must reimburse a pro rata amount of the annual tax to the seller upon closing the contract. If the hand over date is between January 1st and March 31th, the buyer must pay the seller, the same amount as the current annual tax as an advance payment for the following year. The seller will pay the tax on behalf of the buyer upon receiving a tax statement. However, even if the imposed tax is set at a higher/lower rate than the amount paid in advance, neither party is required to make up for the difference.
- Agent Commission
- Properties are sorted into 3 groups by the transaction forms.
- Seller is Hachise, no Broker
- Seller is Hachise, Broker is designated
- Seller is others, Broker is Hachise
- Tax Administrator
- The Tax Authority requires non-residents who own real estate in Japan to appoint a resident as their tax administrator. You may appoint your friends or acquaintances living in Japan, however, you can also hire a solicitor/attorney as your administrator.